SA Am I being blackmailed?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Fritzmonger

1 October 2017
I've started the process of divorce and the issue is arising with custody of the children. I have 2 biological children with her and 2 step children with deadbeat dads.
When I met my ex-wife, she was living with another woman who helped raised the older kids. Although this person is how we met, our friendship has soured over the years, primarily over the children. I believe that she is being emotionally abusive to the children and she once suggested to my ex-wife I was molesting my daughter.
My ex-wife insisted when my older daughter was born that she would spend 3 nights a week with this person, with my stepchildren (under protest on my part and led to my mental health and our marriage breaking down, but not hugely relevant to the question). I am seeking to end this arrangement so she is raised by just myself and my ex-wife 50/50. At this point of the process, the first mediation session is in a couple of weeks.
The problem I have is with this other woman's partner who is a former Families SA worker and has threatened both myself and my wife multiple times to have our children removed from our care. The accusations include using a steroid cream on my stepdaughter with eczema and for smacking the children in a disciplinary matter - excessive force has never been used.
The threat I have on text message from this person reads "If you continue to demand ***** be removed from us I will use all my power and all my contacts in child protection to make sure you only receive daytime supervised visits"
They are also threatening to report me for assaulting the children (apparently there's a record stretching back 2 years) and for making death threats if I pursue access to my daughter through the courts.
Does this quantify blackmail?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Potentially yes.

Start court proceedings now for parenting orders.

And whatever you do don't lose the text messages. Recommend you start keeping a diary and putting communications into email as a record in case evidence is needed at court.

Sounds like you at the beginning of a very messy situation and it will take lots of effort to maintain contact with the children. All the best.

sammy01

27 September 2015
look, you're probably better off posting in the family law section.

My advice - do nothing... Not yet anyways... Just to clarify? you have 2 kids who spend 3 nights a week in the care of someone other than your or your ex?
wow???

AllForHer

23 July 2014
I'm going to address this on your thread in the Family Law section...

Clancy

6 April 2016
I suppose the relevant question for this thread is if a child protection agent would be allowed to action any case with a personal connection? I would assume not, and if they did, would get in sever trouble.

That would not stop them sending 'mates' at the office after you, so, keep good records of everything that is said and done.