16 year old daughter being harrassed by an adult

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

jordique85

13 August 2020
Hi, New here. Joined specifically to pose this question. Any information would be a help.

Yesterday my daughter was called into the office to speak with the practice manager. She is 16 and left school after year 10 last year. Works full time at a Dental Surgery as dental nurse.

She was informed a woman had called the practice telling them that she (my daughter) was of bad character and should not be working there. The woman informed the practice that if my daughter continued to work there, that she and her family would no longer be clients and she would make sure " everyone" knew the "kind of person" they had working there.

Now, this woman, her daughter and mine used to be friends at school in year 5 (2014, our daughters were 10 turning 11)
We were also friends because of this.

Back in 2014 , the girls' friendship ended up busting up as they do sometimes. Out of nowhere the woman cut me off and started talking rubbish about my daughter and my family in general. Whatever. I secretly glad as she had been talking some crazy stuff to me during our friendship, like the time she cried to me, saying the thought her husband and older son had been " sticking needles into her phone so they would cut her" I SWEAR TO GOD THIS IS WHAT SHE SAID.

The girls and us mums have had nothing to do with each other since then. I even moved my daughter schools since this other girl was such a bully afterwards. My daughter was pretty messed up from the bullying and a mental health plan was put in place by our GP.

There has been no contact between our families since 2014 except for the one time the crazy cow ( the mum) pulled her car up beside me as I was walking back to my car and randomly started yelling at me at the local PCYC 2 years later (2016) telling my to "get my daughter to stop calling her f***ing house" ???... OK. Move along psyco. I walked away.

my concern is, a grown adult who seems unstable to say the least, has held a grudge against a child for 6 years??!! 6 YEARS!! trying to move on and rebuild her life after years of bullying. This woman is now calling my daughters place of employment trying to get her fired! Im really concerned this woman has lost her marbles and is so engrossed in my daughters life. Im concerned for my daughters safety. Even though there was no threat of physical violence in the phonecall.

Do you think I should go to the police to try and get them to put an AVO on her? what is the likelyhood they would? And is this classified as defamation? Like they say... mud sticks.

And help greatly appreciated, Thankyou

Last edited:

Atticus

6 February 2019
Yesterday my daughter was called into the office to speak with the practice manager. She is 16 and left school after year 10 last year. Works full time at a Dental Surgery as dental nurse.
So they got a complaint from (you say) a nutter .... So what's actually come of it? ... Nothing I expect, otherwise they wouldn't have filled her in on who it was.

So if nothing's come of it, my advice is to leave it & move on.... Forget the AVO (no grounds anyway) .... If your daughter has been affected by this (as in her employment), then you may have cause for complaint to the appropriate body (not police)

jordique85

13 August 2020
Thank You for your reply. You're right that the place of employment gave no weight to the complaint. Cheers for the advice I really don't want a drama.

Reactions: Atticus