WA Threats to Publish Personal Photos Online - Extortion or Blackmail?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Freeatlast

7 January 2015
Not sure if this is the right forum, but it is domestic violence and about power and control.

My ex has threatened to publish online personal photos and videos of me if I do not comply with his demands. Namely that I give him access to my online accounts.

Is this blackmail? Can something be done to prevent it?

He has also threatened to break into my home. The police say there is nothing they can do until after he follows through, even though there is a restraining order.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
What state are you in?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
WA, never mind.

This is a criminal matter relating to intimidation and stalking. Stalking requires the police to prove there was intent to intimidate you, otherwise, it's called intimidation, but in any case, it's illegal.

While the police may be reluctant to press charges, ordinarily they will contact the perpetrator as a way of saying "Stop or you may face charges". When you contact the police, ensure they know you feel threatened and intimidated and that you would like a report made because ordinarily, they then have to investigate the matter.

Freeatlast

7 January 2015
Thank you. I went to the police and they said there was nothing threatening or intimidating in the email. I complained and they later put it on file as an incident but are not investigating or doing anything like pressing charges. I will go back.