QLD Allowing Legal Firm access to Superfund info

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Gary

2 November 2014
I am in the process of submitting a claim for TPD withmy superannuation fund insurance. Whilst checking something online i saw an add for a Legal firm that offered free advice as to eligibility. I looked at there site and read the FAQs in regards to making claims for access to superannuation insurance on TPD grounds. I decided that i would call regarding the service. The lady I spoke to took some details and then asked if sbe could send an electronic consent form so that they could access informatilon from my super fund. I asked was this all part of the inital free offer and she said yes. I asked why she needed this consent as i probably have most of the info she needed . She said that in order to do a thourgh investigation they preffered to gather the information themselves. I again asked if this was part of the free service to which she replied yes
I have received the form and this is my question. Shouldi i go ahaead and sign and send back? There is no indication that this is free and iam worried that if i sign and send back i could end up with fees. There is nothing on the email or an attached cover letter stating no fees or charges and from the moment we first chat to her sending the document i couldnt help the feeling that i was being railroaded. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. These days were told be careful what data we give and to be aware of small print

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
You could send it back via email with a message along the lines of:

Dear (name),

Thank you for your time on (date) to speak to me about my superannuation insurance issue. I attach the requested consent form, and understand that your firm will be conducting preliminary enquires at no cost and no obligation. I look forward to your further contact, and would appreciate a clear indication of what the costs may be if it is decided to proceed with the matter.

Reactions: Scruff

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
You could send it back via email with a message along the lines of: ...
Haha! Love it!
If their terms aren't clear, then put the onus on them to agree to your terms. Very smart indeed.