ACT Childcare won’t refund bond

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Chill27

15 September 2016
hello
I’m hoping someone might be able to provide some advice.

I recently looked in to changing child care centres for my 2 year old and found a child care near my home. They invited me to see the centre (a quick 20 minute walk through) to see what the centre looks like. It was a nice centre so decided to enrol my child. They offered me a place and sent me forms to sign before I was able to take my child for her orientation. They required me to sign a policy form and pay $1200 in bond fees. The policy states they will not refund for change of mind.

After taking my child in for her orientation, I noticed an unsafe practice that I really didn’t feel comfortable with. They let the children aged between 2-3 years old have free access to real, adult sized screwdrivers, nuts, bolts and screws. They encouraged my child to play with them and I noted that many children playing with the tools were not using them for their intended purpose i.e. using the screwdrivers to tighten screws. They simply used them as a toy.

I didn’t agree with this and feel really uncomfortable letting my child have free access to play with dangerous tools. Accidents can happen very quickly and can be fatal.

I spoke to the centre about my concerns and advised that I won’t be sending my child there based on what I saw. They pretty much brushed it off and can’t see why it would be an issue.

They now won’t refund me the bond because it’s a change of mind and they made me sign the forms before I could come for orientation.

Is there anything I can do about this? I feel that it’s a little unfair they only offer orientation after I’ve paid, so I’m unable to make an informed decision before I pay them money.

Thanks in advance.