NSW Accused by Child Protection - What to Do Now?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

sarah davis

13 August 2016
So Child Protection showed up on my door on Wednesday and said allegations were made. I let them into my home out of panic. They saw a dirty nappy on the floor (I had just changed my son) and that I had a laundry pile up and the house was a mess. Nothing over the top, just signs of being overwhelmed (I've been sick for a week).

They accused me of all sorts of things. I showed them that my autistic son's medical needs are being met, he has multiple therapists and I work with his school often. They said it was clear I was overwhelmed and they will be requiring me to join the Brighter Futures Program. Now despite having no evidence for the accusations, can they make me join a program based on a messy house alone?

I have since cleaned my house from top to bottom and addressed all their concerns about my home.

Where do I go from here? Do I have to comply with joining an agency if they don't have a court order? How likely are they to get a court order simply based on a messy house?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Take photos of house now, and document your illness. Be prepared for the next intrusion.

sarah davis

13 August 2016
I cannot document my sickness as they were migraines. It doesn't this sound like much but they were painful. I tend to avoid doctors but in the future, for reference, I won't.

I guess a good lawyer is needed now.

sarah davis

13 August 2016
I should note I was home for less than 30 minutes before they arrived and had just finished breastfeeding my son to sleep when they came to my door, that is why I didn't clean the nappy or poo beforehand. The other stuff was general mess, toys, laundry and general household catch up stuff. I'm worried about the unhygenic things since that's what they can use against me the most.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
You've said they have no evidence to support the allegations...but it sounds like they probably do now.

Cleaning your house might help, but I would say completing the Brighter Futures Program will waylay their concerns far more persuasively.

sarah davis

13 August 2016
They don't have proof for the original allegations. They tried to claim I left my son home alone, which I have never ever done. The only proof of anything they have on me was that when they arrived, my house was a mess.

Now I have rectified the situation I'm wondering if that alone could force me into this program. Should I request they get a court order to force me?

The only evidence is a messy house which has been fixed.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
As I understand it, the program is voluntary.

If you don't participate, of course, it's likely DOCS will continue monitoring your family.