NSW Issues with Child Protection - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

robert3016

1 August 2016
Recently someone reported me and my partner to child protection in NSW. They came and interviewed us and viewed our accommodation.

3 days ago, my partner gave birth. They are both healthy and doing well. Today, child protection said that my partner and the baby have to stay in the hospital for another 5 days.

My partner and I feel like we are criminals when we have done nothing wrong or nothing to hide. We feel pressured by them. We don't know where we stand with them or this situation.

Can they do this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

sammy01

27 September 2015
Just do what they want. Don't argue. You have no idea how much trouble they can cause you

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
What reasons did Child Support give for the extra stay?

It may be a good thing, mum being looked after for another 5 days.

robert3016

1 August 2016
They said the baby might have health issues. The midwives and doctors said they are both fine and healthy. We also have a 3-year-old who cries herself to sleep because her mum isn't home yet. It's like they have control of what we can and can't do.

We have done nothing wrong and have nothing to hide. They are acting on the words of an ex-partner who has mental health issues.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
A new baby in the family can be hard for a displaced 3-year-old. Give her extra loving attention and reassurance and she'll be fine. All part of the growing up experience. Though don't let your ex affect your relationship with your children. Hide that stuff from your kids.

I'd be taking the advice of doctors and midwives. If they give the all clear, and your home environment is safe for a newborn, without specific reasons from Child Support, I'd be taking my family home if I felt that was best for my family. Remember what is best for them is what counts, not what is convenient for you.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
I strongly urge you to do as the Department orders you to do.

As you've said, if you've nothing to hide, than five extra days in hospital is just an inconvenience, and then that will be the end of it.

However, if you go against the Department's directions and take the child home against their orders, then you're likely to have more than just an inconvenience to deal with. This isn't just your jealous ex saying, 'Hey, stay in hospital or else'. This is a government authority. They have power to interfere with your lives if they see fit to do so.

So don't give them a reason to do so.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Government workers still need a valid reason else they become responsible for an action in either misfeasance or malfeasance.

The OP has not communicate what reasons they are giving. In the absence of a good reason, it would not seem unreasonable to do what is best for the family.

But agree it doesn't pay to needlessly upset the Government. With our money in their pockets they have more resources to make life hard for an individual and his family.