NSW Accidentally bought restricted scientific glassware online without an EUD

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

jd2347591

16 August 2022
Hello there,

For context, I am a current university student studying a major in chemistry, and have been interesting in doing some hobby chemistry at home.

Over the past year or so, I've been purchasing various pieces of glassware that I could foresee as being useful - flasks, test tubes, beakers, etc. Much of my equipment was purchased online from Australian suppliers, however my predicament arises from items I ordered from overseas, namely China.

At the time of purchasing some items, I was unaware that some pieces of glassware require you to sign an "End User Declaration" (EUD). I was aware that many chemicals required this, but I did not know that certain items of glassware also required this. As I was dealing with sellers from China on Aliexpress, they did not ask me to sign an EUD, and sent me my items. Some of the items I ordered are considered "schedule 2 apparatus", such as a size 24 condenser and distillation head, which require an EUD. The relevant bit of legislation, and part of list outlining schedule 2 apparatus is below.

Screenshot 2022-08-16 212856.png 1660649692922.png
I understand that this in regards to the supply of such items, however, I am concerned about any potential legal repercussions of owning the equipment without an EUD, especially given that police are known to visit homes and conduct searches/checks of people in this hobby. So my question is: what now? Is there any potential option to provide the same declaration/information as an EUD to the police, and hope they let me keep the items? If there wasn't a risk of bringing more attention to me, or if the items weren't so expensive I'd consider simply walking into a police station and asking them about what I should do about it. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated thanks :)

Last edited: