VIC Drugs Apparatus List - Legal to Do Chemistry Experiments?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

teh.arbitur3

1 January 2017
Hello,

I'm thinking of doing some home chemistry experiments (only basic stuff, such as making hydrogen balloons) and buying some lab glassware. I've done some research about the legal stuff myself and looked into the Drugs and Controlled Substances Act 1981 and found out that Category I, II and III chemicals and apparatus require an EUD and/or proof of identity in order to purchase them.

The stuff that was on the apparatus list were:

- Round bottom reaction flasks capacity 500ml or greater
- Condensor joint size B19 or greater
- Splash and distillation heads
- Heating mantles
- Pill presses
- Rotary evaporators
- Buchner funnels
- Buchner flasks
- Magnetic Stirrer/Hotplates
- Separating funnels
- Chemical balances
- Quickfit adapters

So from my understanding, is that as long as you don't buy anything from this list then you should be in the clear?

The stuff I'm buying are:

- pH paper
- Glass funnel
- 250ml and 500ml glass beaker
- Filter paper
- Glass stirring rod
- 100ml measuring cylinder
- 250ml conical flask

From the stuff I'm buying, it's impossible to make drugs, as they're basically only glass containers. So, is it alright if I buy them? Or will I get a visit from the police and get arrested or something?

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
Correct - as long as the equipment you're purchasing couldn't be defined as of one or more of the apparatus contained in Schedule 3, you should be okay.

Drugs, Poisons and Controlled Substances (Precursor Supply) Regulations 2010 - Schedule 3

Hydrogen sulfide gas cylinder

Hydrogen chloride gas cylinder

Hydrogen gas cylinder

Ammonia gas cylinder

Methylamine gas cylinder

Round bottom reaction flask (capacity 500ml or greater)

Condenser (joint size B19 or greater)

Splash head

Distillation head

Heating mantle (capacity 500ml or greater)

Tablet press (whether manual or mechanical)

Rotary evaporator

teh.arbitur3

1 January 2017
Correct - as long as the equipment you're purchasing couldn't be defined as of one or more of the apparatus contained in Schedule 3, you should be okay.

Drugs, Poisons and Controlled Substances (Precursor Supply) Regulations 2010 - Schedule 3

Hydrogen sulfide gas cylinder

Hydrogen chloride gas cylinder

Hydrogen gas cylinder

Ammonia gas cylinder

Methylamine gas cylinder

Round bottom reaction flask (capacity 500ml or greater)

Condenser (joint size B19 or greater)

Splash head

Distillation head

Heating mantle (capacity 500ml or greater)

Tablet press (whether manual or mechanical)

Rotary evaporator

Thank you :)

But if I give them proof of identity, then I'll be safe to buy the stuff on the precursor list?

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
Thank you :)
But if I give them proof of identity then I'll be safe to buy the stuff on the precursor list?
No, from memory, some if not all of those items may require a licence/permit. For instance Section 71C of the Act sets out that possession of a press is illegal unless authorized or licensed.

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
But the stuff I bought is legal, correct?
As long as the items don't fall within the definitions of the items in the list then there shouldn't be an issue - This would be fairly self explanatory.

teh.arbitur3

1 January 2017
As long as the items don't fall within the definitions of the items in the list then there shouldn't be an issue - This would be fairly self explanatory.
OK, thank you. I know it's self explanatory but I'm the type of person that wants be 100% sure that nothing will go wrong or else I get really anxious and can't stop thinking about it lol