NSW 1st offence coles shoplifting

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
28 May 2021
In May 2021 my sister was caught shoplifting at a Coles in Sydney. 2 apparent loss prevention officers took her into a back room and closed the door. She is disabled with MS and mental health issues and a survivor of several sexual assaults so thia was very scary.
She admitted instantly to stealing goods worth $80- mostly candy for her kids and a birthday present (bonds clothing). She handed over her drivers license and whilst crying and having a panic attack signed documents regarding being banned from Coles everywhere for 1 year and they photographed her.
Initially they said police didnt need ti be involved as she had no record of previous stealing ar coles and in fact has no criminal record at all.
The 2 men became very aggressive although she is very passive and was clearly scared. They suddenly said they must call the police on her or THEY would lose their jobs and they would go to prison. (??? Surely this isnt true).
5mins later she was told the police are too busy so she signed another statement. Both documents had the wrong store location and wrong date listed.
She was then free to go BUT they said the police will phone her within 24 hours to go to the station and do another statement abd possibly be arrested. The loss prevention guys also said if she misses the phone call (and they will Only call once at any time they please) then the police will go to her home unannounced anytime in the next days/months to take her to the police station.
None of this is in writing and seems unclear but she is terrified of mjssing the call or police showing up at her house with her Autistic children and dragging her away.

I understand the ban from coles for a year, but is this threat about the police true? Apparently they were too busy to go to coles that night so will just track her down at some other point? Even though she already wrote and signed a statement with them and signed agreement to never go to coles again and they photographed her and her ID?

The loss prevention officers were unnecessarily aggressive and would not clarify this police threat . She even asked if she should go to the police station herself but they said NO just answer the call 1st time or they will turn up day or night and take her to the police station.

Please clarify legally in NSW what will actually happen now? She is very shaken and humilated and traumatised and will absolutely never steal again i believe. Which is good! But what about this police business? She was let out of coles but not given any paperwork or anything official about any of this... were they just trying to scare her?

Please advise all possible options that will happen to her from here on. Thank you!

billy1972

29 May 2021
They absolutely lied if they said they would be arrested. Trust me when I say and I have experience with this if she told you correctly what happened dont worry about the phone call thats rubbish. If she told it correctly then they scared her and it sounds like they enjoyed it perversely but everything should be ok just dont do it again.

Reactions: Stressed Squirrel

Annie33

3 June 2021
In May 2021 my sister was caught shoplifting at a Coles in Sydney. 2 apparent loss prevention officers took her into a back room and closed the door. She is disabled with MS and mental health issues and a survivor of several sexual assaults so thia was very scary.
She admitted instantly to stealing goods worth $80- mostly candy for her kids and a birthday present (bonds clothing). She handed over her drivers license and whilst crying and having a panic attack signed documents regarding being banned from Coles everywhere for 1 year and they photographed her.
Initially they said police didnt need ti be involved as she had no record of previous stealing ar coles and in fact has no criminal record at all.
The 2 men became very aggressive although she is very passive and was clearly scared. They suddenly said they must call the police on her or THEY would lose their jobs and they would go to prison. (??? Surely this isnt true).
5mins later she was told the police are too busy so she signed another statement. Both documents had the wrong store location and wrong date listed.
She was then free to go BUT they said the police will phone her within 24 hours to go to the station and do another statement abd possibly be arrested. The loss prevention guys also said if she misses the phone call (and they will Only call once at any time they please) then the police will go to her home unannounced anytime in the next days/months to take her to the police station.
None of this is in writing and seems unclear but she is terrified of mjssing the call or police showing up at her house with her Autistic children and dragging her away.

I understand the ban from coles for a year, but is this threat about the police true? Apparently they were too busy to go to coles that night so will just track her down at some other point? Even though she already wrote and signed a statement with them and signed agreement to never go to coles again and they photographed her and her ID?

The loss prevention officers were unnecessarily aggressive and would not clarify this police threat . She even asked if she should go to the police station herself but they said NO just answer the call 1st time or they will turn up day or night and take her to the police station.

Please clarify legally in NSW what will actually happen now? She is very shaken and humilated and traumatised and will absolutely never steal again i believe. Which is good! But what about this police business? She was let out of coles but not given any paperwork or anything official about any of this... were they just trying to scare her?

Please advise all possible options that will happen to her from here on. Thank you!
Hi, Did anything happen to your sister ? I have a similar situation few days ago but I didn’t sign anything.

28 May 2021
Hi, Did anything happen to your sister ? I have a similar situation few days ago but I didn’t sign anything.
Nothing happened! It has been 8 days and no phone call, no police visit- nothing at all. So i assume it was just an intimidation tactic from the wannabe cops aka loss protection officers who thrive on intimidation.

Annie33

3 June 2021
Nothing happened! It has been 8 days and no phone call, no police visit- nothing at all. So i assume it was just an intimidation tactic from the wannabe cops aka loss protection officers who thrive on intimidation.
Thanks for your reply.
I got caught at Coles by two Loss Prevention Officers few days ago for the items that worth about $25 (I did purchase some groceries worth around $70)They asked me to go back to the store and pay for the items. The lady officer was quite polite and didn’t judge me or say anything bad. After I paid she took a photo of the items and the receipt then she said thank you for my cooperation and helped me to put items back to my trolley. She told me I am still welcome back to shop at Coles but just don’t ever steal anything again otherwise I will get a fine next time. I didn’t sign anything however the lady officer did take a photo of my driver license and said they will need to report to Coles. And they didn’t mention that whether or not they will contact the police.

Now I am really anxious as this was not my first time shoplift at this store but just got caught the first time. I am so scared that if they found out more previous cctv footage of me and they will call the police:(

I have read some of the posts in this forum, seems like if police got a report from Coles normally they will call or knock on your door within 2 weeks….
I am really shamed of myself now, can’t sleep and eat. I don’t want to get a criminal record and I don’t want my family know that…. Definitely will not do it again.

Mjls

13 May 2022
Thanks for your reply.
I got caught at Coles by two Loss Prevention Officers few days ago for the items that worth about $25 (I did purchase some groceries worth around $70)They asked me to go back to the store and pay for the items. The lady officer was quite polite and didn’t judge me or say anything bad. After I paid she took a photo of the items and the receipt then she said thank you for my cooperation and helped me to put items back to my trolley. She told me I am still welcome back to shop at Coles but just don’t ever steal anything again otherwise I will get a fine next time. I didn’t sign anything however the lady officer did take a photo of my driver license and said they will need to report to Coles. And they didn’t mention that whether or not they will contact the police.

Now I am really anxious as this was not my first time shoplift at this store but just got caught the first time. I am so scared that if they found out more previous cctv footage of me and they will call the police:(

I have read some of the posts in this forum, seems like if police got a report from Coles normally they will call or knock on your door within 2 weeks….
I am really shamed of myself now, can’t sleep and eat. I don’t want to get a criminal record and I don’t want my family know that…. Definitely will not do it again.
Hi. Any update in what happened to you after? Please let us know. Thank you