QLD Will Son's Autism Affect Australian Citizenship Application?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

nicolo

30 June 2016
We are permanent residents and planning to apply for Australian citizenship on October 2016. My son was diagnosed with autism a week ago. Would this be a reason for denying our citizenship application?

I know it is grounds for denying a PR application but what about citizenship application since we are already PR when he was diagnosed?

Victoria S

9 April 2014
Hi nicolo,

Australian immigration requirements currently stipulate that any potential migrants must not have health conditions which would burden the Australian Health System and Autism is currently considered to exceed those requirements. However there are cases where people have appealed and the occasional child with autism has been granted citizenship.

I'm not sure whether it would make difference that you have already been here on PR visa. Perhaps this could be part of your application - demonstrating that he has not been a drain on Australian health services to date? I would see a migration agent to assist you.