NSW Citizenship application - without conviction traffic offences

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Max Turner

29 June 2018
Hi there,

I am eligible to apply for my citizenship and have two ‘without conviction’ section 10 traffic offences from 2011(both happened at same time) that I will disclose in the application. I did disclose these on my PR application 12 months ago. One was for driving on a suspended license and the other for driving unregistered vehicle.

How will this impact my application? How is ‘without conviction’ viewed in terms of seriousness when assessing an application for citizenship?

Thanks.

Barker

6 July 2018
Hello!

Since you disclosed them on your PR and I assume that you got your Pr, you should be fine, I have heard that traffic offences are usually not looked at very seriously (of course, if they are not severe).

While on your PR and after you committed offences, did you travel abroad? This is just my personal interest, may help me with the issue that I am trying to figure out.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Hi there,

I am eligible to apply for my citizenship and have two ‘without conviction’ section 10 traffic offences from 2011(both happened at same time) that I will disclose in the application. I did disclose these on my PR application 12 months ago. One was for driving on a suspended license and the other for driving unregistered vehicle.

How will this impact my application? How is ‘without conviction’ viewed in terms of seriousness when assessing an application for citizenship?

Thanks.

Hi, I don't have much info on this matter and advice for you is have a chat with an immigration lawyer, there are some that provide free consultation (if you can't pay but it is worth the investment). Usually traffic offences are not considered serious, but the two offences you have are, driving unregistered car (means it can be dangerous to drive and may hurt people), and suspended licence falls under the same meaning. Anyway, I don't know if it will have an impact on your application, but talk to an immigration lawyer and do leave response after you have talked, it is interesting to know.