QLD Will Mother's Wishes Overrule DNA Testing Results?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rascal77

26 February 2018
My boyfriend has a little boy. He is only just over one year old now. The mother of the child tricked him into not going on the birth certificate when their son was born. However, my boyfriend holds concern that if something happens to her that he won't be able to fulfil his rights as a father.

We have no DNA testing proof just yet, but we are looking into it as she refuses to put him on the birth certificate. I want to know though, if we get DNA proof that he is the father of this boy, can she stop him in any way from being put on the birth certificate? Does what she want overrule DNA proof? Does his name get put on the birth certificate if it is confirmed that he is the father, whether she agrees or not?

My boyfriend just wants to be able to know his little boy and to fulfil his rights as a father. He doesn't want to take the boy away from his mother or anything like that. He just wants to know that no matter what he has rights to his boy.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Does your bf get to spend time with the child? Is he paying child support?
My thoughts, you can get DNA test kits online (I believe) Next time he sees the kid, take a little bit of hair and get a DNA test done...

Not being on a birth certificate is interesting... So mum will struggle to get child support without dad's name on the birth-certificate.. Are you 100% the kid is his?