Will I be eligible to become a lawyer?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

CheesyCracker

18 April 2017
Good afternoon,

I'm interested in becoming a lawyer in NSW and wish to start studying soon. However, I'm a bit worried that I might not be eligible to become a lawyer due to my police history.
In May 2010, I was charged with possession of an illicit substance and pled guilty to the charge.
The judge had granted me a section 10 dismissal of charges due to my age & lack of understanding of the law.
I have yet to be charged of any criminal offence ever since.
I understand that any findings of guilt will permanently be on my police record but will be hidden from my record if my findings of guilt is spent.

My question is will I be eligible to become a lawyer if my findings of guilt is spent after the 10 year period?

Thank you.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Have a read of this.

Reactions: CheesyCracker

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
The best place to start would be the link that @Tim W has provided. However, it should be noted that you'll need to disclose the finding of guilt regardless or when it happened and whether it has been spent or not.

Reactions: CheesyCracker

Ironclad

31 October 2017
My understanding is that the following will be viewed favourably in considering an application:
  • Openness and disclosure - Don't just disclose what you think is important, disclose everything
  • Whether the applicant is of good character now
In my home State it is possible to make an early application, ie before you are qualified. This may also be possible in New South Wales. Its worth checking.