QLD Will DUI Appear on National Police Check?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sophie Ogden

28 November 2016
Hi there,

I'm from the UK and 3.5 years ago when I was backpacking in Queensland, Australia, I was charged with drink driving. I was 0.055 and got a one month ban and $600 fine.

It was a stupid mistake that I'd forgotten about.

I'm now finishing my 23 months backpacking in New Zealand and I love it here. My visa expires next month so I will return to UK, but I've found a visa I can come back on next year....but it requires a national police check from Australia.

I'm utterly in panic. New Zealand is my home and I want to return to continue my life here and ultimately apply for permanent residency with my kiwi partner, but I'm scared that my silly mistake with the DUI is going to stop me.

Will my DUI show up on the national police check?

Please if anyone can help me I'd be eternally grateful!

Sophie Ogden

28 November 2016
Thanks Lance...I'm going to apply for a national police check this afternoon and see...Ohhh, I feel sick :(

Is it still worth applying for you think even if it does show up, if I collect plenty of character references from work and volunteering that I've done?

Thank you

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Sophie, all you can do is be honest and hope for the best. Sometimes honesty and integrity will carry you through.