Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

VIC Will Assault Charges on Criminal Record Affect My Visa Application?

Discussion in 'Immigration Law Forum' started by DesertStorm1, 17 November 2015.

1. DesertStorm1

DesertStorm1 Member

Hi, I am an international student in Australia on a student visa. I am to apply for an English visa to travel and I was involved in a very unfortunate drunk fight incident where I was found guilty for charges of drunk and disorderly and assault, last year. I had a corrections order for 6 months, 50 hours which I completed and I am finally done with this business. However, I am wondering if I have to disclose all of this as I am applying from Sri Lanka. And I am aware that any findings of guilt will show up in a criminal record check by visa authorities as this is Victoria and there is no concept of spent non-convictions?

So my questions are, will I be denied visa when I disclose, and would they take into account that this was a one-off incident? My future permanent residency applications in this country? How it will be affected, and basically how bad is my situation?

P.S. I am a nice person (LOL). Irrespective of what's happened, I have and am able to provide character references from my tutors.They were quite shocked about what's happened from university too. Do help me out if anyone can. I would not be able to thank you enough.

Louise4007 likes this.
  2. Louise4007

Louise4007 Well-Known Member

Hi DesertStorm

The Victorian police database retains a record of criminal convictions which may be disclosed on request for the purposes of obtaining an Australian visa except where a finding of not guilty was established, a diversion was undertaken & completed & all conditions were abided by.

Applications for visas consider a 'character test' under section 501 (6) Migration Act 1958 & an application will fail if the applicant has a 'substantial criminal record ' which includes a sentence of death, life imprisonment, more than 2 years imprisonment or more than 1 term of 2 years imprisonment in any country or an acquittal of an offence due to reasons of insanity/unsoundness of mind & detained in an institution.

The 'character test' will also fail if the applicant is shown to be associated with a group reasonably suspected of involvement in criminal activity or if the applicant is otherwise not of good character which might be demonstrated by past criminal conduct or assessment of a significant risk that a further commission of a crime exists or that a threat of harassment, stalking, intimidation or racist activities against another person exists.

An applicant has a right to appeal a refusal of a visa application except in circumstances where the visa was refused on National interest grounds (suspected terrorist activities etc).

Disclaimer
    Information is not intended to be professional or expert legal advice & should not be use as a basis for financial, legal or other decisions or the formation of a professional/client relationship between the correspondents. Accountability & responsibility is on the user/reader in making any decisions based on the information provided.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...