QLD Who to Send Letter of Demand to Under Traffic Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
As you would be aware there is no 5th Amendment in Australia

Are your qualifications in the US legal system? Curious on this point as you appear to have better knowledge on torts however I don't know enough about Australian torts vs US torts and whether the legal tests are different.

I saw a community lawyer the other day who seemed to think if I was intending to take all three cars behind me to court that this could not be done in a small claims court i.e. QCAT.

She thought I need to go to a different kind of court and initiate a different kind of court case? She said in this different kind of court, if I lose that I would be up for paying all the defendant's lawyer fees. Would you be able to shed some light on this.

She is probably referring to the magistrates court. And yes, if you drag in an innocent party and lose you may be up for their defense costs.

Probably best to call QCAT yourself and see if you can have all defendants heard in the same case. If you can, then it may work out best. If not, car 2 in QCAT seems the way to go to avoid the risk of legal costs.

Reactions: Gerard

Gerard

11 February 2016
Are your qualifications in the US legal system? Curious on this point as you appear to have better knowledge on torts however I don't know enough about Australian torts vs US torts and whether the legal tests are different.

She is probably referring to the magistrates court. And yes, if you drag in an innocent party and lose you may be up for their defense costs.

Probably best to call QCAT yourself and see if you can have all defendants heard in the same case. If you can, then it may work out best. If not, car 2 in QCAT seems the way to go to avoid the risk of legal costs.
Thanks Rod, If QCAT can accommodate all three would be good, but if not I will go for Car 2 in QCAT. Too much work and risk to go to a magistrates court IMHO.

TKC

12 January 2016
Sydney
Thanks again TKC.

So should I make car 2 the first defendant or should I make car 4 the first defendant or it does not matter?

I saw a community lawyer the other day who seemed to think if I was intending to take all three cars behind me to court that this could not be done in a small claims court i.e. QCAT.

Gerard, QCAT and Small Claims Court are two very different forums. QCAT like NCAT here in NSW, is essentially a Consumer, Trader, and Tenancy Tribunal. In fact, like in QLD, it was called just that the CTTT.

State governments rebranded these tribunals to reflect their wider jurisdiction, however, they do not hear traffic accident matters, only (in relation to motor vehicles) consumer matters surrounding claims about motor repairs or purchase of vehicles from a dealer, for instance. Disputes between dealers and manufacturers about unfair motor vehicle supply contracts or unjust conduct are also heard.

She thought I need to go to a different kind of court and initiate a different kind of court case? She said in this different kind of court, if I lose that I would be up for paying all the defendant's lawyer fees. Would you be able to shed some light on this.

I have to say this lawyer did not seem to understand that I need to prove the negligence element.

She was correct. Motor vehicle accidents are heard in the Small Claims Court or the General Division of the local court. If you have not suffered any injury from the accident and the amount of costs/damages to the repairs of your motor vehicle is less than $10K, you would require the Small Claims Court.

She was also correct about the fact that you are exposing yourself to potential liability for costs and expenses were you to lose your case against the other driver/s. However, you wouldn't need to sue all the other drivers. Once you serve and file your Statement of Claim against Car 2, 3, and 4 -- you will remember I said in the earlier post that you will receive a notice of grounds of defence from each defendant -- essentially their pleadings/particulars.

Based on that evidence which is provided to you by them, you can then select who you think is the at-fault driver (which I believe will be car 4) and then amend your Statement to reflect the driver of the car who you will prove your case against. I mean, car 4 may plead guilty in his reply, so it will be easy for you to withdraw your claims against cars 2 and 3 with an affidavit in support, and just concentrate on getting car 4 into court to win your case.

Unfortunately I wrote a witness statement (which I sent to all parties involved - without legal advice) stating that I saw the car behind me stationary and that I saw that Car 2 was forcible pushed into my car 1 by the car 3 behind him and as such I felt he was not negligent.

There is nothing wrong with this. It is not about what you feel, but what you can prove to the court on the balance of probabilities. The fact that you felt car 3 was negligent doesn't mean that that's the case, after all, your view was obscured and perhaps you didn't even know that car 4 was also involved, at that point. I don't know. I don't see it as a problem, though.

She stated that I could argue that witness statement away, by saying I was in a state of shock when I wrote it and that it was done without legal advice and as such it was not my job to act as part of the defense for Car 2. It was Car 2's job in a different claim against Car 3 to recover money for money paid to Car 1 for damages done by Car 2 and to damages done to Car 2 by Car 3.

And so on .... separate court cases all the way back to Car 4.

The lawyer did seem uneasy about the issue of negligence and said she would ask a friend who works in car insurance to see if she could gain any other information on the matter.

So long as your evidence doesn't change throughout the carriage of the case, there is no need for you to alter your statement, and from what I can tell (on the details you have provided), there is no need for you to change or alter your statement. The only thing that matters is what happened directly behind you, therefore to car 2, the other stuff will only be viewed as conjecture by the court in terms of your initial statement.

However, as I stated earlier, you can always amend your claim against the driver whom you think you have the best chance to establish all three elements of negligence against. For all you know, one driver might put his hand up and plead guilty, however, you won't know that until you file and serve your Statement of Claim against all of them.

This lawyer you have spoken to sounds weak, I wouldn't waste any more time on people like that, but if she comes back to you with the suitable information you may wish to approach another lawyer for confirmation.

Yes, as you know, the car insurance company's request that their members stay silent and never admit anything as they state that it is a condition of them (insurance company's) now representing them that they don't admit anything until it goes to trial.

I was using the American constitution's 5th amendment concept loosely and out of context country wise to mean the "right to remain silent".

The best way for you to proceed would be to allow your insurance company to take over the handling of your case. I agree.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
...who should I be sending my Letter of Demand to under Traffic Law?
Am I correct in thinking that your vehicle is not insured?

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
...And don't be concerned about my qualifications.
@TKC - Please do not read this post as a personal attack - that is not my intention.

While I do accept that not every lawyer here makes it obvious (as is their right),
having been reading your contributions for some while,
I must admit to a certain courteous curiosity myself.

Gerard

11 February 2016
Gerard, QCAT and Small Claims Court are two very different forums. QCAT like NCAT here in NSW, is essentially a Consumer, Trader, and Tenancy Tribunal. In fact, like in QLD, it was called just that the CTTT. State governments rebranded these tribunals to reflect their wider jurisdiction, however they do not hear traffic accident matters, only (in relation to motor vehicles) consumer matters surrounding claims about motor repairs or purchase of vehicles from a dealer, for instance. Disputes between dealers and manufacturers about unfair motor vehicle supply contracts or unjust conduct are also heard.

She was correct. Motor vehicle accidents are heard in the Small Claims Court or the General Division of the local court. If you have not suffered any injury from the accident and the amount of costs/damages to the repairs of your motor vehicle is less than $10K, you would require the Small Claims Court.

She was also correct about the fact that you are exposing yourself to potential liability for costs and expenses were you to lose your case against the other driver/s. However, you wouldn't need to sue all the other drivers. Once you serve and file your Statement of Claim against Car 2, 3, and 4 -- you will remember I said in the earlier post that you will receive a notice of grounds of defence from each defendant -- essentially their pleadings/particulars. Based on that evidence which is provided to you by them, you can then select who you think is the at-fault driver (which I believe will be car 4) and then amend your Statement to reflect the driver of the car who you will prove your case against. I mean, car 4 may plead guilty in his reply, so it will be easy for you to withdraw your claims against cars 2 and 3 with an affidavit in support, and just concentrate on getting car 4 into court to win your case.

There is nothing wrong with this. It is not about what you feel, but what you can prove to the court on the balance of probabilities. The fact that you felt car 3 was negligent doesn't mean that that's the case, after all, your view was obscured and perhaps you didn't even know that car 4 was also involved, at that point. I don't know. I don't see it as a problem, though.

So long as your evidence doesn't change throughout the carriage of the case, there is no need for you to alter your statement, and from what I can tell (on the details you have provided) there is no need for you to change or alter your statement. The only thing that matters is what happened directly behind you, therefore to car 2, the other stuff will only be viewed as conjecture by the court in terms of your initial statement. However, as I stated earlier, you can always amend your claim against the driver whom you think you have the best chance to establish all three elements of negligence against. For all you know, one driver might put his hand up and plead guilty, however you won't know that until you file and serve your Statement of Claim against all of them.

This lawyer you have spoken to sounds weak, I wouldn't waste any more time on people like that, but if she comes back to you with suitable information you may wish to approach another lawyer for confirmation.

The best way for you to proceed would be to allow your insurance company to take over the handling of your case. I agree.

Rod, if that's what you are most curious about than I suggest you do not attempt any further engagement with me on these forums. I am not interested in playing games of one-upmanship with you on this site.

You have proved you have very little knowledge on the subject of this thread, and whilst I thought I was fair in allowing you room to elaborate on your understanding by giving you the benefit of the doubt, you went for the one subject you thought was best to expand this discussion, which turned out to be a personal attack on me. LOL. How does that help anyone? You have shown you true colours, so to speak. And don't be concerned about my qualifications. I have registered myself on this site to offer assistance, where I feel I can, to those searching for it. Play your juvenile games with trolls on the internet, I'm not interested in your foolish games.

TKC - many thanks again for an excellent post. You pretty much answered everything I needed to know. I guess I am putting Car 4 down as the first defendant then.

The community lawyer rang me back last night after she said she would speak to a friend of hers who actually works for Insurance Company's in regard to these matters.

She left a message on my phone saying "I discussed your case with my friends and we all agreed unanimously that you should serve your letter of demand to Car 4".

Ironically, the day before after I left her office she was adamant I should be going for Car 2 and did not seem to understand the proving of negligence part. Hence, I was not filled with confidence either - especially since I had done one basic subject on law myself in relationship to a degree I have in nursing I remember the subject was pretty much all about negligence.

Gerard

11 February 2016
Actually one other question: do I need to send a letter of demand to Car 3 as well?

I have currently sent a letter of demand to Car 2 initially.

Then I sent one to Car 4.

Car 3 may be at fault – I don’t know until I receive his notice of grounds of defence which would essentially give me his witness statements by way of his pleadings/particulars.

Hence is it a condition of filing and serving against all three cars (2, 3, 4) that I have previously sent them all a letter of demand?

Gerard

11 February 2016
TKC, is there a textbook(s) which outline the pathway (including format and protocol) of how to serve and file a statement of claim against three defendants in a small claims court in Queensland including information on who to send letters of demands to ( for example in such cases like mine); and explains that one can amend their statement of claim (and how? as you mentioned via alfadavid) after I receive each defendant's pleadings/particulars within their grounds of defense?

If I do go through this process myself - can I claim for the time I have had to spend as my own lawyer? If so, how would I gauge my hour rate for the time I spent - as a lawyer's hourly rate or as a nurse's hourly rate?

If I win against Car 4 and she is found to be at fault, does Car 4 have to pay for each of the other parties (Car 2, Car 3) lawyer fees? Again is there a textbook that explains that process as well?

I am hoping there is one textbook that explains it all.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Gerard, QCAT and Small Claims Court are two very different forums. QCAT like NCAT here in NSW, is essentially a Consumer, Trader, and Tenancy Tribunal. In fact, like in QLD, it was called just that the CTTT.

State governments rebranded these tribunals to reflect their wider jurisdiction, however, they do not hear traffic accident matters, only (in relation to motor vehicles) consumer matters surrounding claims about motor repairs or purchase of vehicles from a dealer, for instance. Disputes between dealers and manufacturers about unfair motor vehicle supply contracts or unjust conduct are also heard.

From QCAT: Minor civil disputes - QCAT Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal
  • property damage disputes including damage to a house, or a car from a motor vehicle accident, up to and including $25,000

???? Oops.

FYI, I'm here to genuinely help people and learn at the same time. Sorry you mistook my posts as a personal attack, they are not meant to be.