QLD Who provides PPE to a subcontractor in this situation

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Peter

17 August 2019
As a security guard subcontracted to a bus company, i have been asked by one of the managers (the others dont care) to wear a Hi-vis vest around the depot (which I spend at most 15 minutes in), its been 3 years and they have only JUST asked me.

Who is required to provide the vest?

A: Me
B: The bus company
C: My security company

The vest is not considered part of my normal uniform as its not required in other contracts, nor does it mention wearing a vest in my job description on site as I am onboard said bus all night, and only walk across the depot to get in and out of the bus in question.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Whoever currently pays for your uniform.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
So I take it you're an employee of a security company, and the security company is contracted by the bus company? If that's the case, either the security company needs to be providing the necessary 'equipment' (which includes a hi-vis) or the bus company does. Ultimately it comes down to the provisions of the agreement between them.

I'd report the request to your supervisor at the security company and ask for direction.