NSW How can I get proof there was no probate or letters of administration issued

Discussion in 'Wills and Estate Planning Law Forum' started by Sal1, 29 January 2019.

1. Sal1

Sal1 Well-Known Member

Hi,
    My mother passed away in 2003. She did not have a will or an estate, no probate or letters of administration was issued . How do I gain proof of this. As ASIC is requiring it for some unclaimed money which has been found???
    thanks in advance

2. Rob Legat - SBPL

LawTap Verified

It's very hard to prove something doesn't exist. You may need to clarify with them what they will actually accept, but I imagine it will need to be something like an 'affidavit of search'. You may need to engage a professional search agent to conduct registry searches in all relevant jurisdictions (i.e. states) in which your mother lived where she owned property (for example).

However, ask them what they require rather than guessing. If you provide something that's not quite what they want you may need to do it all again.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...