QLD What to Expect at Directions Hearing?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

AmandaB

15 May 2018
Hi

I filed for interim and final orders regarding parenting earlier this year. I am self representing. We have had a family report completed and have a directions hearing coming up. I was just wanting some general help on what to expect at this hearing.

Would the Judge make orders based on the recommendations? Also, should I make contact with the other parties solicitor and advise I will be asking to make orders in line with the recommendations? There has no contact from their side since the release of the report.

I know it is a very broad question but was just hoping for some possible scenarios.

I will be seeing the duty lawyer on the morning of the court date.

Thank you

sammy01

27 September 2015
Yep you need to be more specific. The family report is the thing the magistrate will rely upon most... so what did it suggest? General opinion, read the family report - their advice is better than anything anyone here can offer

Don't bother contacting the solicitor. Hopefully, they will contact you.

Migz

20 November 2016
I see you are in QLD, and if you are infront of Coates, Demack, Cassidy, and I forget the couple of others, they will follow the Family Report to the letter...Why? Because it's out of their hands. Oh we didn't have to make the hard decisions, someone else did a botched up job, and we will follow their advice to the letter.

To answer your question you'll be fine, you will be in front of the judge for approximately 7-10 minutes and the family report will be accepted.

Quite frankly these Family Reports are a load of crap. Did the Report writer visit each parents house, to see the living environment in which the child lives? No. Did the Report writer allow you to record the interview? No.

Did the Report writer spend 40 minutes with you and then writes a report which affects yours and your child's life for the next 6 to 10 years? Yes.

Did the Report writer spend 20 minutes watching you interact with your child in a foreign environment? Yes.

Did the Report writer talk about co-parenting and the best interests of the child moving forward? Nope.

They are just another money making racket for the Family/Federal Courts to bleed the parents of money...

AmandaB

15 May 2018
Hi guys, thanks for your replies.

I have Jarrett. The family report was written very well and takes into account the child’s views a lot.

The child currently lives with their mother and the recommendation is for them to live with their father.

Migz

20 November 2016
Well you have the best judge for that to happen with... He is the only Judge that I know of on the Qld Circuit that has carried out "full change of care", and also jailed a mother for not following orders...should be more like him.