VIC Pros and cons of adjourning first directions hearing??

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Keeks

28 February 2019
Hey all - just after some community advice re: the pros and cons of adjourning the first directions hearing til a private family report has been completed?

Is there a benefit in getting our case into the courts system asap, or would waiting for a few months to get to court (assuming that's where it's headed if we're unable to agree on what the family report writer recommends) not make that much of a difference to the end-date of our court matter?

And if both affidavits have been filed before we adjourn, does that mean there's already a record of our matter in the system and we can pick it up quickly at a later date if we resume the case?

Both applicant and respondent affidavits have been shared, so we both know what cases we have to answer for. I'm okay with what's been put forward by both sides of the matter, I just didn't want to penalise my case if I'm better off keeping our first directions hearing date despite the request from the respondent to adjourn until we have the family report.

(Am assuming the court will grant adjournment if we request it, although conscious that may not be the case and it all could go ahead despite both parties being happy with the adjournment).

Advice gratefully appreciated!