VIC What to Do About Intervention Order from Ex?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

sammy01

27 September 2015
My wife took an AVO against me. Best thing she ever did for me. It ended our marriage without a hint of a doubt, but it also meant no contact. It took her all of two weeks before she started calling. Initially, I ignored the calls, but then she got smart and called from a public phone box. So the number didn't appear on my screen - I answered. She was incoherent.

So eventually - I went to the cops. They called her and asked her to stop calling me. That got her mad. So she kept calling - eventually the cops informed her that as she had taken an AVO against me and she had requested that one of the stipulations be no contact. Well, it made her look a bit crazy because she kept calling me.

Look, at the time it was a hassle, especially when she went to the cops and claimed I was breaching the AVO but the cops quickly worked out that she is a bit loopy. So in all, the AVO wound up being a bit of a win for me. I had a legal obligation to avoid her. Good.

Now if you don't have kids then there is no real reason to have any contact, true?

Now as far as your records go... An AVO runs at about the same as a speeding ticket. As far as what it looks like on your record. So I'm a school teacher - even with my kids being 'protected persons' courtesy of the AVO, the thing still had absolutely no impact on my employability. So I would not worry terribly much about your record.

So you really have two options - accept without admission. Easy and cheap, or try and defend the thing. Now you probably want to think about hiring a solicitor for that one... Is it really worth spending a few grand on defending it?

Reactions: Timnuts

Matthew Karakoulakis

27 October 2016
Hi Sonay,

I have reviewed your instructions and you are being subjected to an unfair and difficult situation.

I can assist through providing the legal advice that you need. I am from Adelaide and practise in the Melbourne CBD near the Court. I can provide representation and assist you in gathering the evidence required to contest these false allegations that have been made.

False statements made in court and through court documents can attract charges if proven. Please feel free to contact me via Matthew Karakoulakis, Melbourne Lawyer: Book Online | LawTap to arrange an appointment. Your first appointment is free!

I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Yours faithfully,

Reactions: Timnuts and sonay

sonay

5 November 2016
Hi Sonay,

I have reviewed your instructions and you are being subjected to an unfair and difficult situation.

I can assist through providing the legal advice that you need. I am from Adelaide and practise in the Melbourne CBD near the Court. I can provide representation and assist you in gathering the evidence required to contest these false allegations that have been made.

False statements made in court and through court documents can attract charges if proven. Please feel free to contact me via Matthew Karakoulakis, Melbourne Lawyer: Book Online | LawTap to arrange an appointment. Your first appointment is free!

I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Yours faithfully,

Hello Matthew, thank you for your comment. I would love for you to represent me but I don't think I could afford it. I was planning to come to Melbourne earlier so I could organize Legal Aid.

In the last 2 months, my ex has put me through a lot of stress and top that he lied through his teeth to get this IVO against me. After everything I have done for him, starting off by trusting him, marrying him and bringing him from overseas to Australia, I'm left with an IVO as a thank you from him.

You will be amazed by the things I have found out what he has done that's why I have to defend myself.

Lance

31 October 2015
Oh ok, I get you....Also, if he does succeed that AVO, will it be on my records making me look like a crazy stalker?
In Victoria, an intervention order does not give you a criminal record but if you are found guilty of breaching an intervention order, that could.

Reactions: Timnuts

Matthew Karakoulakis

27 October 2016
Hello Matthew, thank you for your comment. I would love for you to represent me but I don't think I could afford it. I was planning to come to Melbourne earlier so I could organize Legal Aid.

In the last 2 months, my ex has put me through a lot of stress and top that he lied through his teeth to get this IVO against me. After everything I have done for him, starting off by trusting him, marrying him and bringing him from overseas to Australia, I'm left with an IVO as a thank you from him.

You will be amazed by the things I have found out what he has done that's why I have to defend myself.

Hi Sonay,

Your ex-partner seems to have taken advantage of your trust and decency, which opens legal avenues for you.

I can appreciate that you are concerned with legal costs. Please feel free to contact me
Matthew Karakoulakis, Lawyer, AMK Law - Melbourne, VIC - LawTap - Find a Lawyer & Book Online Instantly and we can arrange a time to speak and openly discuss costs and your desired outcome.

You can find further information on eligibility for Victorian legal Aid at Who is eligible for help? | Victoria Legal Aid

Yours faithfully,

Reactions: sonay and Lance

sonay

5 November 2016
Hello,

I just wanted to give an update on the intervention order against me.

The order was withdrawn by my ex with more made up lies (compulsive liar). He has actually left the country and I doubt he will ever return to Australia. So I came from Adelaide to Melbourne to find out case is dropped.

Last year, when I was living with the ex in Melbourne, I had to go to Adelaide and while I was there, the house we were renting was sold, so my ex moved in with 2 other males and everything we had was moved to the share house...washing machine, Fridge, vacuum cleaner, TV, Digital set-top box, DVD's, Quilts, Blankets, plates, and lots of new unopened still in boxes bowls, plates,kettle.

My ex left all of things at the share house, I had asked my ex a lot of times to give them back but never did, then he just leaves the country and I didn't even know he left. Now how can I get my stuff back?

If I go to the share house, I don't know if they will give it back. What are my options? Also I can't prove they are mine because all my papers were with my ex in our rental property.

Oh, he also borrowed $500 from me to help pay for the bond at the share house, which I think I have it on my bank statement.

sammy01

27 September 2015
The $500 is gone. So is your stuff - yep, you could knock on the door of the share house, but especially without receipts, they have no obligation to hand anything over. If the stuff is still in boxes, they might want you to take it, but again, no obligation. My thinking - live and learn

sonay

5 November 2016
The $500 is gone. So is your stuff - yep, you could knock on the door of the share house, but especially without receipts, they have no obligation to hand anything over. If the stuff is still in boxes, they might want you to take it, but again, no obligation. My thinking - live and learn

What a let down :(

sammy01

27 September 2015
Nothing stopping you knocking on the door and asking about your stuff. They might want rid of it because it is taking up space.

Not a let down - still living with him - that would be a let down.

Reactions: SamanthaJay