VIC What to Do About Intervention Order from Ex?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

sonay

5 November 2016
My ex has an interim intervention order against me and family court is on the 16/11. I have evidence to prove his statements were 99% lies and he is just wasting other people's time.

Can I stop or do something so other people's time isn't wasted? Or can I counter sue?

Lance

31 October 2015
No, unfortunately not. The view of the court would be that everyone deserves the right to be heard.

My understanding is that when you attend court on the 16th Nov you wont get a chance to argue your case just tell the court you will argue against the order. A court date 28 days after the initial hearing (The initial court attendance is called the mention date).

So 28 days after the mention date you will be given the opportunity to argue the intervention order and present evidence. It might be worth seeking some advice to make sure the evidence you have will refute the claims the other party has made.

Reactions: sonay

sonay

5 November 2016
I definitely will seek legal advice on Monday.

My ex-husband's statement said after we separated he moved to Melbourne but didn't mention that we got back together and I moved to Melbourne as well and I have a rental agreement. Also, we have been separated for a year, yet he has called me over 400 times. I have phone bills.

He broke up with me 2 months ago and he came to see me 4 times in Adelaide. I have photos. Those are a few of the lies he has said. I have proof against the other lies as well. If he told the complete truth while he was filing for an intervention order.

Would it still been processed?

Lance

31 October 2015
It depends what the details of the intervention order state. But I think you have made the right choice to seek legal advice.

sonay

5 November 2016
Definitely I'd be silly not to, especially since I know I'm in the right. Everyone in Melbourne knows he is a compulsive liar.

Sorry, another question... What would happen if he gets caught lying about everything?

He showed me the intervention order but then the cop gave me a interim intervention order and I didn't know about the first intervention order.

I am in Adelaide and he is in Melbourne. Court is in Melbourne.

Lance

31 October 2015
It's hard to say because there are a number of variables. If you have evidence that is irrefutable and proves that the information the other party has presented to the court is false, you could expect the court to take a very strong stance on this. Saying that a lot of people think they have concrete evidence but the other party's lawyer often tears it apart. See what your lawyer says.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Or agree without admission. If you don't have kids, then an AVO is a great thing to have.

sonay

5 November 2016
Might have been AVO just a different acronym for Intervention Orders in other States. AVO - Apprehended Violence Order.

Oh ok, I get you....Also, if he does succeed that AVO, will it be on my records making me look like a crazy stalker?

Last edited by a moderator: