QLD What should I do regarding bills, bank account etc prior to formal sepatation arrangements

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Danilou

2 November 2019
Hi

I am hoping my partner will be amicable with regards to our defacto break up. When he broke up I think he thought we would just work it out between us, nothing formal. But after 24 years, we owe it to each other to do it fairly. And I just want to get on with it now, no more contact and fights, Im done.
He is working away at the moment. 2 weeks on 2 weeks of in the mines. So havent heard from him last few days, and not expecting too.

I understand he has a right to still live with us when he is back, but it makes things harder for all of us, especially the kids, they need happy parents.

As we have not worked out the property split etc, what happens at this point with regards to bills, his living arrangements? Bank accounts etc. All of that stuff?

He has threatened to start a new bank account for his wage, I dont think he will, but my wage wont cover everything, and he knows it worries mr when he says stuff like that.

We have a saving account, what if he moves this too an account under his name. I would like to think he wouldnt, but, hes not really been himself of late.

Any advice would be awesome

Thanks

sammy01

27 September 2015
call relationships australia or google free family mediation services and find what is available in your area.

There are no rules about bills etc. So the more you can work it out between yourselves the better.

Louise4007

8 November 2015
SA
Hi Danilou

The law recognises de facto relationships and separation under the one roof for purposes such as parenting plans, orders, child support and agreements about property.

The most ideal solution is to reach some sort of agreement between you and your (ex) partner regarding him paying his share of household costs and general bills if you both decide he should continue living in the same house as you and the children. This could be an arrangement for him to pay you a certain amount weekly or fortnightly as his share for him to stay.

A parenting plan could also be arranged between yourselves which considers time spent with the children and their care arrangements as you both may want to do things separately with the children for a certain amount of time each week and have different ideas about how their care should be provided. A set amount of money that he pay you weekly or fortnightly as child support or, as otherwise suits should also be agreed upon.These issues should ideally be written into a parenting plan to avoid possible disputes later. Family courts place a heavy emphasis on this part due it's main focus being to administer family law to operate in the best interests of the children of a marriage or de facto relationship rather than the best interests of parents. The Australian legal system also places a high regard on the extent parents have attempted to reach agreement on these matters outside of court and in fact, there is no need for many matters to reach court unless formally separating or divorcing couples cannot reach agreement about the children or financial arrangements.

You both need to be able to access the joint bank account if you have previously agreed to this or, begin operating separate bank accounts only to make the situation as amicable and problem free as possible.

I think it would be wise for you to contact Relationships Australia or a mediation service for guidance and a lawyer if agreement between you and your (ex) partner can't be reached.