SA Warrant from South Australia - Get Case Heard in Victoria

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

jfabian

26 April 2015
I was caught shoplifting (theft) in South Australia and I didn't show for court I have now got a warrant out against me. I now live in Melbourne. Can I get the case heard in Melbourne? This was five years ago too. I'm looking at a fine and a conviction.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Probably not.
Your personal convenience is not a factor.
Nor is any wish you may have to keep it a secret from the people around you these days.

In the worst case scenario, you can be arrested in Victoria, by Victorian police,
and extradited to South Australia.
Bail in South Australia is not a given (you are a flight risk).
Understand that "faili to appear" can be a second, separate offence,
for which a further penalty can be imposed.

jfabian

26 April 2015
So what is the best thing to do ? Should I get a lawyer to help get my case ?

jfabian

26 April 2015
I went back to south Australia last week and handed my self in to port Adelaide police station .the police ask me where I been for five years I said I had been in Melbourne and that I come back to go to court . the police officer was very impress that I came all that way and even the judge was too .I end up getting dismisses without conviction and no penalties just had to pay court cost .The morale of the story is if you man up to your problem ,you might get a good positive result .