VIC Arrest Warrant in Victoria but Living in South Australia?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Wheelsta

18 March 2017
Can I be arrested if I have an arrest warrant in Victoria but I'm currently living in South Australia?

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
Yes, you can be arrested and ultimately extradited back to Victoria. Police can initiate proceedings against you in any part of Australia.

Reactions: Tim W

Tony Danos

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
In Victoria you can but it depends on the seriousness of the charges. Otherwise they issue a warrant to compel attendance. If a matter is heard in your absence, you can apply for a rehearing.

Tony Danos

Lawyer
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
You could be arrested if they realise there is an interstate warrant. This would lead to an extradition hearing and bail application. It all depends.

Tim l

1 August 2017
You could be arrested if they realise there is an interstate warrant. This would lead to an extradition hearing and bail application. It all depends.
Hi,

What happens if I had court for a criminal matter that I plead not guilty at the first appearance, and then accidentally missed the second mention. The judge released an arrest warrant although I'm not on bail for charges.

If I hand myself into police can I get a new van or do I have to be taken into custody?

Tony Danos

Lawyer
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
Can I be arrested if I have an arrest warrant in Victoria but I'm currently living in South Australia?
You can still be arrested however Victorian Police would need to apply to the SA court to extradite you to Victoria.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
....although I'm not on bail for charges.
Perhaps you were on unconditional bail.
In which case, it is more likely that the warrant was issued for "Fail To Appear",
rather than for "breach bail conditions".

It won't take much for you to be arrested next time you come under notice.
All it will take is for a constable to "run the usuals" on you at RBT,
or at a vehicle stop for speeding, and you'll be looking at immediate arrest,
and quite possibly highly conditional, or even refusal of, further bail.