VIC Caught Shoplifting - How Likely is a Civil Demands Notice?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
14 October 2017
Hello,

I was caught shoplifting in a large makeup store in Melbourne recently, and was taken to the back room by a security guard and a staff member. The alleged stolen items were given back to the staff, they put them on a table next to my license and took a photo. They did not ask for any other details and I did not sign anything, nor was I asked to. No police were involved. I was told that I was banned from all their stores for 2 years. I absolutely have learnt my lesson and will not return to the store.

I did some googling after leaving the store, and have heard about some people receiving civil demands notices after shoplifting; requests to pay a kind of fine. I am now feeling incredibly anxious that something will show up in my letter box requesting me to pay a large sum of money to the store. However, there is another issue; I think they only looked at the front of my license, which has my old address on it. My question is, how likely is it that they would send some kind of demand in the mail, and what will happen if they do send a demand and I never receive it because they too my incorrect details?

Please help! I would so appreciate this anxiety being quelled, and to be able to move on from this horrible experience.

Tony Danos

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
Hello,

I was caught shoplifting in a large makeup store in Melbourne recently, and was taken to the back room by a security guard and a staff member. The alleged stolen items were given back to the staff, they put them on a table next to my license and took a photo. They did not ask for any other details and I did not sign anything, nor was I asked to. No police were involved. I was told that I was banned from all their stores for 2 years. I absolutely have learnt my lesson and will not return to the store.

I did some googling after leaving the store, and have heard about some people receiving civil demands notices after shoplifting; requests to pay a kind of fine. I am now feeling incredibly anxious that something will show up in my letter box requesting me to pay a large sum of money to the store. However, there is another issue; I think they only looked at the front of my license, which has my old address on it. My question is, how likely is it that they would send some kind of demand in the mail, and what will happen if they do send a demand and I never receive it because they too my incorrect details?

Please help! I would so appreciate this anxiety being quelled, and to be able to move on from this horrible experience.
I would not expect you will be pursued for civil damages. Only expect criminal charges or fine.

Tony Danos

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
Hello,

Unless police involved there cannot be any charges.