VIC Voicemail from interstate police- what to do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

purpledrank

30 April 2020
Hi all, new to this and naturally very worried, but tonight I heard a couple of voice messages from an interstate officer left to me Friday afternoon and today (Wednesday afternoon)- reason being a damaged phone but that's irrelevant. I have a feeling I know what it is about, and believe an ex living in the other state has reported me for something like harassment or cyber stalking- I did have contact with her through email recently over a couple of weeks, and said some not so great things, not threatening but more or less what I thought of her, through a few different email accounts.

I then accessed an old (very old) social profile of hers, anyway woke up the next day, realised what I was doing (no excuse, but state of mind wasn't too good at the times of contacting) and deleted accounts because how I was acting made me sick, and I wanted to leave her alone. Anyway, I plan on calling the officer when he is in tomorrow (tried tonight once I heard), I'm wondering if I should contact legal aid/advice first?
I'm hoping to be lucky enough to receive a warning as I do not plan or want to contact again, though I do not want to assume it will be that of course- and so, very worried.
Any advice appreciated, cheers!

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
..... plan on calling the officer....
No. Don't do that.
Unless you have questions about access etc, where co-operation is a thing,
leave it to your ex to make the running on any police complaint.