VIC Very old debt

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Modais02

28 December 2020
Back in 2002 I had a phone bill with Telstra I was unable to pay . The debt was sold to credit corp by the end of that year . I recently did a credit check to find that I have a listing for credit corp every year since up til Feb 2020 . I have an 18 year old debt that was less then $800 in 2002 I have not contacted them or made a payment since . Should this not have been removed already and how does it continue to show up each year . If I contact them to remove it or ask why it's been updated and refreshed each year does that mean I would have to start again and wait another 5-6 years from now

Docupedia

7 October 2020
Statute barred debts only get ‘renewed’ if you make a payment or acknowledge the debt as owing. If you make a complaint to them that there is incorrect information on your credit file, they will need to investigate and respond. If you’re not satisfied with their response, you can take the matter to AFCA (Australia Financial Complaints Authority), which is a free ombudsman service.