WA Used someone else's credit card to gamble online

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mikeyd2010

19 July 2017
I'm overseas with a friend and he gave me permision to use his credit card to try win him some money online with the sports betting comlany I use back home in Australia. Long story short I've deposited around $5000 in a few days lost it all and he's claiming he said I could only use $1000 not the rest. He's going to be ringing the bank to claim that all the transactions are unauthorised and have them reversed. I've deposited close to $100 000 of my own money with this company it's not a once off. That's with my own cards. This card was his and I haven't had to verify it. He will get the $5000 back when the bank contacts the sports bettor and they give them my details which don't match the card. My question is what kind of trouble can I get in for this if any at all considering I haven't done anything wrong. Does the bank come after me and try have me charged with fraud? Or will he get his money back and the betting agency just claim I owe them $5000? When it comes down to it hes going to claim I used it unauthorised and I'm going to say i had his permission. Not really sure what to make of all this and where it's heading ....

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
Had you taken his card and used it without his consent that would be an offence. As long as he is stating that he allowed you to use his card, at this stage it's more of a civil matter rather than criminal, insofar as there's only really a dispute as to how much he let you use.