QLD Used car salesman increased price after independent inspection found car unroadworthy.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Steve 111

25 August 2018
I recently organised an independent inspection on a vehicle I am interested in buying and it identified the wheels that were fitted on the vehicle, which had only recently passed roadworthy, were illegal. The dealer fixed the issue with new wheels and is now going to increase the price to offset their costs.
Doesn't seem fair to me but is it within the law?

Lart

2 January 2017
Unless you have some form of contract with the Dealer to buy the car at the agreed price (Written, verbal, sms, e-mail, etc), then the Dealer can adjust the price as he sees fit.
If you really want that particular car, then you will have to negotiate a price that satisfies yourself and the Dealer. Basically the original price has no legal standing until some form of contract is entered into.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Though the dealer can run foul of Australian Consumer Law in altering the price.

Though doesn't directly help the OP get the original price, just means the dealer potentially gets a rap over the knuckles by Fair Trading (or QLD equiv).