QLD Used car salesman increased price after independent inspection found car unroadworthy.

Discussion in 'Other/General Law Forum' started by Steve 111, 25 August 2018.

1. Steve 111

Steve 111 Member

I recently organised an independent inspection on a vehicle I am interested in buying and it identified the wheels that were fitted on the vehicle, which had only recently passed roadworthy, were illegal. The dealer fixed the issue with new wheels and is now going to increase the price to offset their costs.
    Doesn't seem fair to me but is it within the law?

2. Ozwarlock67

Ozwarlock67 Well-Known Member

That doesn't sound lawful or ethical. I'd take my business elsewhere.

3. Lart

Lart Well-Known Member

Unless you have some form of contract with the Dealer to buy the car at the agreed price (Written, verbal, sms, e-mail, etc), then the Dealer can adjust the price as he sees fit.
    If you really want that particular car, then you will have to negotiate a price that satisfies yourself and the Dealer. Basically the original price has no legal standing until some form of contract is entered into.

4. Rod

Rod Lawyer
    LawTap Verified

Though the dealer can run foul of Australian Consumer Law in altering the price.

Though doesn't directly help the OP get the original price, just means the dealer potentially gets a rap over the knuckles by Fair Trading (or QLD equiv).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...