QLD Unpaid traffic fine as foreign driver + occupant

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Swoggers

4 January 2024
Hi, I went to Australia in 2018 with my parents. We got stopped by a policeman because I did not have my seat belt on. At the time I was 17, which meant that my dad (who was driving) was responsible for me, at least that's what I remember hearing from the policeman. We didn't pay the fine because we thought we could pay it at the airport (stupid). After checking in, we could just walk to our flight and fly away without paying.
We had a rental car, and from other posts on the internet I read that the government would credit the amount from the credit card registered there, but I don't think it ever has.
Now I am just wondering what the consequences are. I assume the fine still stands, and if my dad enters Australia he will have to pay big time. Is there an expiration date for how long the fine stands? And since I made the offense, what would happen if I went to Australia again? Would they stop me because my dad has a fine still standing based on my offense?
I am just really curious because my dad doesn't have the intention of going to Australia anyway, and there doesn't seem to be a clear-cut answer (at least not regarding whether I am in any way liable for the fine).

edmedm123

11 January 2024
Under the Road Safety Road Rules 2017, particularly Rule 264A, it is specified that the driver of a motor vehicle must ensure passengers comply with seatbelt requirements. This rule applied to your situation in 2018 when you were 17 and not wearing a seatbelt, making the driver (your dad) responsible for the offense.

Regarding the unpaid fine, it is important to note that traffic fines in Victoria do not simply expire or get forgotten. If the fine remains unpaid, it can escalate through additional fees and even lead to more severe consequences, such as enforcement actions. The fact that the fine was issued several years ago and remains unpaid could mean that it has accumulated additional costs.

If your dad re-enters Australia, it's possible that there might be repercussions related to this outstanding fine. As for you, since the responsibility for the seatbelt offense lay with the driver, it's unlikely you would face direct consequences upon re-entering Australia. However, it's important to consider that unresolved legal matters can have unforeseen implications.

In summary, while it's unlikely you'll face direct consequences for the fine, it's advisable for your dad to resolve this matter, potentially by contacting the relevant traffic authority or seeking legal advice, to avoid any complications should he decide to visit Australia again.

Concise Advice: Your dad, as the driver, was responsible for the seatbelt offense. Unresolved fines can lead to additional costs and enforcement actions. It's advisable to resolve the outstanding fine to avoid potential complications upon re-entering Australia.