NSW Drivers Licence Suspended and Court - Unpaid Fines

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
5 September 2014
Hello. I had a fine in NSW and I was not able to pay it because i was out of work and i was moving house. I didnt know you drivers licence will get suspended if you didnt pay a fine. I was pulled over and now I have to go to court. What do i do? This is my first time traffic law offence and I didn't even know my license was suspended? Please help me - my court case is on Monday.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Hi James,

I'm not lawyer and there is not much time if your case is on Monday. In your situation, I'd either ask the court to delay the case so I could better prepare my case or throw myself on the mercy of the court.

5 September 2014
i have already , If i do this it will be the 4th time , to be adjourned
I called legal aid they said they can only give advice and no one will go with me ?

Should i fight my own case , how bad do you think it will get , because this is first incident
and i ve never been too anything like this so its a learning curve for me

what should i do ?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Not enough detail provided to be able to give considered advice.

Continually putting off the matter only serves to delay the inevitable. You need to decide for yourself what you want to do.

5 September 2014
Ok so i got booked for driving while suspended , at the time i was unaware my license was suspended , i was moving house due to my family split up and i received nothing telling me i was suspended , so how was i supposed to know ? , the first court case was neglegence on my part , i had gotten the dates mixed up , then second court case was set on a sate which i hat to attend a funeral , so i got it adjourned another time so the Third time i went to the Court case , the lady told me to adjourn it because i needed legal advice, now i call legal aid they say they cant send any lawyer with me they can only give legal advice ,

will I be going to jail , i have no other criminal records , ive never done anything wrong , im the worship leader of a church community , i do charitable events , i teach at a college , ? will i go to prison ?

Please help me

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Other than driving while suspended, are you being charged with any other offences? What about the original offence that lead to your suspension?

5 September 2014
The original offence was my P plates were not on my car , and this was my first ever fine , which was 267 dollars and 4 points of my license , and two years earlier i had a cannabis caution , which was not my weed , but my friend who got caught with it but the police said , he wont be able to prove its only My friends weed and so he gave us both a caution " thats all ive had , .