NSW Unfair dismissal and lawyers

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

exacto

10 April 2024
I was recently dismissed from my full time job which I held for two years. The reason given was "a downturn in business, affecting cashflow". I was given no notice or any indication that the business was having financial issues. I have had a consultation with a lawyer who said I have a case and should apply for unfair dismissal. The lawyer has already charged me $1650 for a phone call and a few emails and will charge $5500 to help with the application and conciliation.

I guess I just want to know if anyone has had any experience with unfair dismissal? Is the conciliation something I can do on my own or is that not advised? Are there other (cheaper) lawyers I could use?

I'm just worried that I either won't win the case or won't get much compensation and be stuck with a massive lawyer bill that I won't be able to pay. I have tried free legal services but it's just so hard to get any actual help. I have also applied for legal aid but that will take a long time and there's no guarantee I'll get it.

They are also currently withholding my pay which is probably a separate issue.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney

exacto

10 April 2024
For what reason?
They want me to do some documentation for them. I have now completed the documentation in the hopes that I would get paid but still nothing. From what I've read this is totally illegal.