VIC Two Public Transport Fines Hindrance to Becoming a Lawyer?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sapphire

11 February 2015
Victoria, Australia
I am currently a second year law student. It is my goal to become a lawyer. In my life thus far I have received two infringement notices regarding the public transport system. I paid these fines immediately, no fuss made. On both these occasions it was my own stupid mistake for 1) not having my concession card; and 2) forgetting to touch on. God, I'm such an idiot.

I'm so disappointed in myself. I wish I wasn't so careless at those times. Will I ever make it as a lawyer now? Has my dream been shattered?

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi Sapphire,

No your dream hasn't been shattered. The only time that being admitted as a lawyer would be put at risk is if you commit a crime. Even then, when you apply to be admitted, you aren't definitively excluded, it depends on the seriousness of the crime and other factors and mitigating circumstances.

Public transport infringement notices definitely won't stop you becoming a lawyer!

Reactions: Anubis

Sapphire

11 February 2015
Victoria, Australia
Hi Sapphire,

No your dream hasn't been shattered. The only time that being admitted as a lawyer would be put at risk is if you commit a crime. Even then, when you apply to be admitted, you aren't definitively excluded, it depends on the seriousness of the crime and other factors and mitigating circumstances.

Public transport infringement notices definitely won't stop you becoming a lawyer!

Ah, thank you so much! I feel a lot more hopeful now. I thought that was the case. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks again :)

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi @Sapphire,
I agree with @Ivy. The Council of Legal Education has information on the "suitability" requirements to be admitted as an Australian lawyer in Victoria at: Admission Requirements - Council of Legal Education

In addition to having a clean (or at worst, "explainable") criminal record, law students should also be aware of the academic conduct (that is, no plagiarism) requirement.

All the best and look forward to seeing you around in the LawAnswers.com.au community!

S

Sophea

Hi Saphhire,

I was able to become a lawyer after receiving a public transport infringement fine. I of course declared it all on my admission documentation. If that's all you have to confess don't worry, you'll be fine.

Reactions: John R

Sapphire

11 February 2015
Victoria, Australia
Hi Saphhire,

I was able to become a lawyer after receiving a public transport infringement fine. I of course declared it all on my admission documentation. If that's all you have to confess don't worry, you'll be fine.

Hi Sophea,

That's great to know. Very reassuring! Yeah, I guess it comes down to whether you are a fit and proper person, and if you admit it all then I think it shows the court that you are. Thanks for your reply.

Anubis

6 May 2015
There is a reasonably exhaustive list of offences that must be disclosed.

Check with the Law Society

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
It's the disclosing that is the key bit.

Disclosing those fines is an act of integrity and ethics (the foundation of the profession).
Whereas concealing them is the opposite.

Reactions: John R

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney