LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

VIC Two Public Transport Fines Hindrance to Becoming a Lawyer?

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by Sapphire, 11 February 2015.

1. Sapphire

Sapphire Active Member

I am currently a second year law student. It is my goal to become a lawyer. In my life thus far I have received two infringement notices regarding the public transport system. I paid these fines immediately, no fuss made. On both these occasions it was my own stupid mistake for 1) not having my concession card; and 2) forgetting to touch on. God, I'm such an idiot.

I'm so disappointed in myself. I wish I wasn't so careless at those times. Will I ever make it as a lawyer now? Has my dream been shattered?

2. Ivy

Ivy Well-Known Member

Hi Sapphire,

No your dream hasn't been shattered. The only time that being admitted as a lawyer would be put at risk is if you commit a crime. Even then, when you apply to be admitted, you aren't definitively excluded, it depends on the seriousness of the crime and other factors and mitigating circumstances.

Public transport infringement notices definitely won't stop you becoming a lawyer!

Anubis likes this.
  3. Sapphire

Sapphire Active Member

Ah, thank you so much! I feel a lot more hopeful now. I thought that was the case. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks again :)

4. John R

John R Well-Known Member

Hi @Sapphire,
    I agree with @Ivy. The Council of Legal Education has information on the "suitability" requirements to be admitted as an Australian lawyer in Victoria at: Admission Requirements - Council of Legal Education

In addition to having a clean (or at worst, "explainable") criminal record, law students should also be aware of the academic conduct (that is, no plagiarism) requirement.

All the best and look forward to seeing you around in the LawAnswers.com.au community!

5. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

Hi Saphhire,

I was able to become a lawyer after receiving a public transport infringement fine. I of course declared it all on my admission documentation. If that's all you have to confess don't worry, you'll be fine.

John R likes this.
  6. Sapphire

Sapphire Active Member

Hi Sophea,

That's great to know. Very reassuring! Yeah, I guess it comes down to whether you are a fit and proper person, and if you admit it all then I think it shows the court that you are. Thanks for your reply.

7. Anubis

Anubis Well-Known Member

There is a reasonably exhaustive list of offences that must be disclosed.

Check with the Law Society

8. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer

It's the disclosing that is the key bit.

Disclosing those fines is an act of integrity and ethics (the foundation of the profession).
    Whereas concealing them is the opposite.

John R likes this.
  9. John R

John R Well-Known Member