SA Trespass and theft charges for under 14yo

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Michele55

9 July 2019
My son and his mate, both under 14, entered smn else's vacant house, stole nothing of value (a couple of coins) and now face criminal charges. His pal had previous problems with police and entered first, while my son followed and did not try to do anything funny when police came.

What are the worst and best cases for him? Is it likely to end in one court sitting? Anything not obvious I need to consider?

Adam1user

5 January 2018
My son and his mate, both under 14, entered smn else's vacant house, stole nothing of value (a couple of coins) and now face criminal charges. His pal had previous problems with police and entered first, while my son followed and did not try to do anything funny when police came.

What are the worst and best cases for him? Is it likely to end in one court sitting? Anything not obvious I need to consider?

Kids will be kids, but for your son's friend, I suggest they brake off the relationship, he is not your son's friend. I am a mature adult now and I have troubling siblings since we were all kids (early as age of 7yrs), I can say from experience that my siblings did not change their ways even into adulthood, their problems are bigger even with the law, so the so called your son's friend will bring more trouble to your son. You need to do what ever it takes to stop this relationship with this kid. This is a general to assist you. As for your case, I suggest to talk to legal aid in your area, they should provide you with good advice.

I am not a parent nor have children, but if I have, this is what I would do, I will seek out if I can find a police officer (through a friend or family members) that will be able to help and put a lot of fear into your son to assist braking up the relationship. Talk the police officer and explain what has happened and ask the officer to show some authority and fear into your son. If you want to protect you son that is what needs to be done. Sometimes hard actions need to be taken for the long run to be good.

Good luck.

Michele55

9 July 2019
Thank you. Actually that is more or less what I am doing. He stopped this friendship and we will talk to legal aid soon. Nobody in the family has ever done anything more serious than failing to pay a bus fee and I wanted to get a general idea of what I/he could face. I will try to find a police officer to do what you suggested.