NSW Punishment for Theft and Fraud Under Criminal Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Johnothan

12 May 2016
I recently, over the last year or so, stole some money from my work using fake accounts and documents totalling $80,000. I have been in contact with my former employers and have confessed the theft and fraud to them. They have said that they already reported it to the police and that they are also finalising their investigations with their lawyers.

I want to know how long it will take for the police to contact me and if charged, how will they go about doing that? Do they have to serve me in person? What if they send it to and address I no longer live at?

Also, what would be the likely punishments for this type of crime under Criminal Law?

I have told my former employer that I am willing to pay back all of the money, however, it will need to be through some sort of a payment arrangement. They have told me that they will not accept any payment arrangement if it is more than 1 year. I have told them I have accepted what I did was wrong and I am deeply sorry, but it would be impossible for me to pay back the money within that timeframe. To which they replied that they didn't care who pays the money or how I get it, as long as they get it back.

Piers Blomfield

3 April 2016
Griffith
www.blomfieldlegal.com.au
The police will be in touch. You could well find yourself in the District Court due to the amount of money involved. You need to speak with a criminal lawyer urgently you are looking at a custodial sentence.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
The police do not have any time limits for this offence. Agree with Piers - you need advice.

re: Payment plan. They do not have to agree to a plan though it is in their own interests to do so. Remorse and restitution can help reduce any sentence the judge hands down. You may need take out a loan. If you can not pay the money back within a year, then you may need to provide complete access to your financials so your employer can see what you are capable of paying back. This is something you should be discussing with a lawyer.