QLD How much evidence b4 theft charges can be laid?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

dirtywheels

5 May 2018
My neighbours were recently robbed (in broad daylight), and my HD security cameras have captured footage of the thief entering the property and walking up the side of the neighbours house toward the back door.
The thief is then seen to be coming back along the side of the house and out to the footpath, then straight past my cameras with something being held up under his t-shirt (laptop). Another camera records him opening the gate and entering another premises (where he is believed to be staying) two doors down the street on the other side of my house.
The thief then re-emerges from his property and runs past my place and back into the neighbour's yard, before coming back out of the neighbour's yard for a second time with something else tucked up under his t-shirt.
The offender is known to be either living with, or spending a lot of time with, the registered tenants of the premises he was seen entering after he has stolen my next door neighbour's property.
We KNOW that this guy is responsible for the theft, even though the cameras don't capture him actually ENTERING the house and physically hiding the items under his shirt. We know where he lives. No other person is filmed entering the neighbour's premises between the time when the neighbour leaves, and when the neighbour returns.
My question is.......What can the police reasonably be expected to achieve with regard to calling this person to account for his actions? Is 1080 resolution footage of the suspect sufficient to enable the police to take positive action in relation to this matter or is it just a case of bad luck, and take it up with the insurance company?

Adam1user

5 January 2018
The best way is to have a chat with the police and ask that the conversation be confidential and show the video. This way, you are not breaking any laws and the police can determine whether to proceed to charge or not based on the video you have and their questioning. I don't think there will be anyone here will provide you with a solid answer as they have not seen the video and don't know the whole story.

dirtywheels

5 May 2018
The police have been contacted. The video has been supplied. It's pretty clear what has happened but the police are saying that there's no guarantee that someone else didn't jump the fence in that time, and carry out the actual theft. I would have thought that video evidence was more than sufficient grounds for the police to approach the occupants of the house two doors down. In any event, none of the neighbours have been approached to ascertain if, indeed, anyone can verify if anyone did actually jump the fence at all. If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then there's a pretty good chance it's a duck. Know what I mean? Has our justice system REALLY come to the point where you have to virtually have the offender hand himself in and make a full confession before any action is taken? The neighbours were absent from their property for 25 minutes. The whole story is as I have described in my opening post. Neighbour leaves, offender walks in, emerges with items under his shirt. Offender returns a second time and emerges a second time with items under his shirt. Victim returns 25 minutes after leaving to discover items missing. Nobody else is filmed entering the property in that time. Property is surrounded on three sides by 6 foot high fences. Neighbour on other side of victim has rottweilers. My yard is under 24 hour surveillance by security cameras. I would say the likelihood of somebody scaling the fence in that time is there, but highly remote.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
At the very least he can be had for trespass. Sad when police refuse to do their job. Wonder if it occurred to them to get a search warrant?

The police are lazy, too much paperwork for them. You have more chance of them doing something if he yells too loud at his GF and police are called for a DV incident. They'd probably throw him out and put a DV order in place.