VIC Potentially facing charges for trespassing

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

pokedude449

27 January 2020
Hi there mates, yesterday my friend and I made a stupid mistake which I am now trying to ascertain the consequences for. We went to the top public level of a highrise building and found we had gone to the wrong section of the building so we climbed a wall (stupid I know), and ended up in a paid residents only area where we were apprehended by security who then called police and took our details. We participated fully with the police and security, caused no damage to the property, didn't attempt to steal anything or carry in any weapons/suspicious goods. I have no past convictions. How likely is it that we will be charged for this offence? (my understanding is that this falls under the SUMMARY OFFENCES ACT 1966 - SECT 9). I understand that what we did was illegal and stupid, however considering there was no further intent other than just being there and we didn't cause damage, will the police commit to bringing us in front of the magistrate over such a trivial matter? If it were to come to that how likely would it be that we would face fines/a chance at a section 10?
Thanks!

D

Deleted member 12925

Did you advise police that you didn't intend to access the paid residents only area?

pokedude449

27 January 2020
Did you advise police that you didn't intend to access the paid residents only area?
I stayed pretty much silent when dealing with them besides apologising and giving them my details, however my friend did try to express this to them (although he was pretty stressed and didn't do the best job).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12925

I stayed pretty much silent when dealing with them besides apologising and giving them my details, however my friend did try to express this to them (although he was pretty stressed and didn't do the best job).

Have the police actually charged you with an offence? I would need more information to advise you on how you should deal with this matter.