VIC Travel Agent not Honouring Voucher

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Aurek

24 June 2018
Hey all,

So I recently put flights on lay-by with a travel agent, but am having an issue with a voucher I was offered. On the agency's website, there was an offer of $50 off when I booked an appointment in-store and attended that appointment.

I did attend this appointment and put my flights (to the USA) on lay-by, paying a $99 deposit. While booking I asked about the discount and the travel agent told me with certainty that it only applies if I book "land products" like tours and such as part of my booking. I (wrongly) believed her and proceeded with everything.

After getting home though I checked the website and reread the T&Cs which say this:

"Excludes one way, trans-tasman and domestic airfare only bookings", making me eligible for the voucher after all.

I know it's only $50, but as a uni student, I'm not prepared to let it go, and have more than enough time to chase it up however possible. So my questions is: how can I go about getting the $50? and to what extent am I within my rights to chase up the money?

It's obviously a bit of a grey area, but I'm pretty sure sales representatives like the travel agent need to be accountable for their word.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Its obviously a marketing tactic.... But, its not exactly fair to other travel agents who operate doing the right thing. So contact the ACCC