WA Traffic Law - Liability for Directing Other Vehicles?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

AtTheZoo

15 June 2017
I am wondering what is the legal implication under traffic law. If I direct another vehicle behind me showing my hand through the window indicating to the vehicle behind me to pass me and the vehicle then get involved in an accident.

Question : Do I become responsible/liable for the car accident that occurred?

Question : Does the same principle apply if I stand behind someone and direct them while they reverse and they get into an accident ?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi,
That's a loaded question. The driver may be responsible for a traffic incident just for stopping in traffic. With respect to signally someone around, it could be argued the other driver should only pass when safe to do so, but if the stopped driver has made safe passing hazardous they may be found at fault depending on why they stopped. As far as guiding a reversing car, the driver is responsible for ensuring they do so safely. If they want to put their trust in a third party, well they are still in control of the vehicle. Don't stop in traffic is the best decision.