QLD Traffic Law - Failure to Give Way onto Highway

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ann McGrath

10 September 2014
About 7pm in May, I stopped for a few moment in a parking place near Tairo on the Bruce highway. To join the highway I came at a right angle to the road. It was dark - easy to see any other vehicle. Nothing was coming in either direction. I am accused of failing to give way to a truck.
I have been driving the same vehicle for ten years, it is regularly serviced and passed as being roadworthy. It is an MB100 van, not fast to take off, (but with good rear lights) and I am aware of this and particularly careful.

Ann McGrath

10 September 2014
Dear Ann, what is your query? Was there an accident?
No accident but sometime later a police car stopped me (frightened me beyond imagination) told me that I had broken the law and should pay a fine of (from memory: $300+). Stupidly, as it turns out, I protested. Then I had a notice to appear in Maryborough Court - which I did, only to be told I should contact the Police to explain the situation - which I did, only to be told I must go to Maryborough court again next month. Now I've had a letter from the police saying I should seek legal advice. So, as one does today, I googled "legal advice" and came up with your contact. Otherwise, I've no idea how to find "legal advice".

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
On the notice you received, what is the alleged offence you committed? eg Dangerous driving, failing to give way etc Did you fail to pay the fine and now it is going to court?

Write down as much as you can remember of the incident.