NSW Not give way in the motorway entree

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Terrence

27 March 2018
Hi all, I recently got a penalty from police said because I am not give way to him. However, I was entering the motorway I checked there was a enough gap for me to enter the traffic flow and I am 100% sure I gave way to a big truck and changed lane to follow the truck. After that I saw a police car just behind me from the rear mirror. I know when merging onto the other lane, driver need to giveway to the main road car. But it is a motorway, I have already pass the motorway sign it means I can not stop or too slow. Otherwise it is very danger. Also the split road (on ramp) is used for driver speed up their car to reach the speed of the flow, I can find the road rule in RMS which said "The approach to a motorway is usually from a road on the left. Watch for a gap then increase your speed to safely merge with the traffic." I was sure I do the safest way in that time to jointing the traffic. I have already select to decide by court and they sent me the noticification as well. What do I need to do in the court? Do I plea guilty or not guilty? I am a delivery drive I really dont want any demerit points. I need some help, I will call the legalAid as well to get some advise.

Best regard.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Well you are correct that the requirement to match the speed of the freeway you are merging with is not always consistent with the requirement to change lanes safely. Weather or not you are forced to break the law is subject to the circumstances you encounter at that time.

The fact is, you have already sped up to match the freeway speed, now there is no safe gap, so what do you do? Rules say don't stop, Rules say merge safely, neither is an option, so what do you do? You just do the best you can like everyone else, the policeman is a moron.