QLD Contesting Speeding Fines in Traffic Law Court?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ozwarlock67

16 April 2015
110 to 125 is still a bit of a jump. I don't like it.

Laser guns aren't infallible. Plenty of cases have proved that. As I said above, maybe you can get it worked out without going to court. If not, take the footage and anything else that refutes the charge and see if you can set the judge some reasonable doubt.

Never admit to a cop at the roadside that you may have been speeding.....just like you don't admit fault at an accident scene, but if you admit to the judge that you were doing 112, but certainly not 125, he may look a little more lenient...or even dismiss because of the reasonable doubt.

Reactions: JohnnoWontim79

Bill Murray

6 June 2018
Blackvue is not cheap, but the GPS will still have smoothing in it etc.

Throw it on youtube and post the link in here. Upload it in high definition.

Keep in mind even if I can confirm the video speed you're pushing s**t up hill. For it to be admissible in court you'd need to get a video expert to validate the frame rate of the video (I assume it'll be 30fps) then you'd have to get some sort of road expert to confirm the distance points I use and then the math side you could probably introduce yourself.

You're in QLD so my recommendation would be to write to the OIC of whoever gave you the ticket. Tell them you thought you were going 110 as you used a GPS unit to confirm your car speedo speed but you realise now that might not have been accurate so will take your car to a workshop to get the speedo calibrated (only say this part if you intend to do it). Ask if there is anyway to drop it to the -13kph category.

That's a big drop but they might do it.

Reactions: JohnnoWontim79