Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

VIC Traffic Law and Speeding Fines - Nominate Driver for Company Car?

Discussion in 'Traffic Law Forum' started by thisisunfair, 23 January 2016.

  1. thisisunfair

    thisisunfair Member

    23 January 2016
    Likes Received:

    Our company car was involved in a speeding offence committed in April'15. We first found out in November '15 after all the notices were sent to the previous address. We had moved in April '15.

    I sent in revocation nominating myself (director) as driver, but came back refused, saying 5 months had passed after the time limit to nominate.

    It's my very first offence ever and is 1 demerit point for exceeding the speed limit of less than 10ks. Normal speeding fines should be $180. I am being asked to pay $3120. They took 2 months to get back to my original revocation application.

    Can I nominate driver if I object in magistrates court? Our mistake here is mainly our failure to update the address in time. But $180 vs $3120 is pretty outrageous for a first offence. Doesn't matter if it's under a company name, as the financial cost would affect me just as directly being a micro business.

    Could you please give some Traffic Law suggestions on objecting in magistrates court and what can I say in this instance? Also, if I do not want to attend in person. Can I get a lawyer to represent me in court for under $300 as taking a day off work would cost me the same.

    Also, if the Sheriff comes looking, given the car is under a company name, can he touch me personally as a director?

    Many thanks!
  2. Ponala

    Ponala Well-Known Member

    10 February 2015
    Likes Received:
    You will need to make an application to the court in regards to refusal of revocation, though you may be outside the period for that. Fines Victoria - Objecting to revocation refusal

    A lawyer for $300 probably not.

    As the director of the company they can I believe.

Share This Page