VIC Suspended from Employment with Pay but No Explanation?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

broomie21

28 March 2015
Hi there, I am currently a 4 year Store Manager for a large company and on Thursday I was told by my Area Manager that I had been suspended (with pay) pending investigation into some matters that had come to hand. When I asked why or what they were, I was told that I had to wait until Wednesday next week until the investigation had finished.

I have been a loyal and hard working Store Manager as well as a business owner in the town for more than 10 years. This has absolutely gutted me and I have no idea where it has come from.

Any employment law help please?

Paul Cott

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
26 May 2014
Ballarat, Victoria
Broomie,

I know it will be very difficult but I think you will probably have to wait until Wednesday.

I don't think procedural fairness here would make it imperative you are notified of the allegations sooner. Whether procedural fairness is satisfied it or will be largely determined by what happens after Wednesday.

Let us know how you go and or if you need more help come back in here.

Paul.

Reactions: broomie21

broomie21

28 March 2015
Hi There
After posting that i had been suspended from work pending investigation, it has now been put to me by the Area Manager that i have breached company policy multiple times. I accept that this is the case, but nothing that had not been previously done by previous management. I now have 24 hours to decide if i should resign or have a meeting with the Store Operations Director and likely be dismissed.
What should i do. I feel as though i am being railroaded to leave the company after many years of great service.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Without knowing the specifics I can't give any real advice. A negotiating point is maybe ask for a redundancy and good written reference.

S

Sophea

If you have breached company policy, then you cannot escape the consequences, even if that is dismissal just because other employees have also done it for a period of time. However, employees are entitled to equal treatment. Therefore, the same discipline or treatment must apply to the same policy violation. Your employer cannot dismiss you solely on the basis of a policy breach if other employees are known to be committing the same breach without consequences. In these circumstances, I suppose you would have grounds to allege discrimination.