WA Subpoenaed medical records

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

MamaJ

23 January 2020
My ex subpoenaed my medical records and the court order states for the past 3 years. Can my exs lawyer use the subpoena to get my records from 7 years prior? Is this allowed?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
If it says three years, it's three years. If your medical practitioner gives up more than that, it's a breach of your privacy.

MamaJ

23 January 2020
Yeah I thought as much, it'll actually be a breach on my ex as far as I'm aware not following court orders again. It was the ex's lawyer that put the dates in exceeding the court ordered dates.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
Not making excuses, but keep in mind that it could be a genuine mistake by the lawyer or one of their employees as well. I wouldn't point any fingers until you know more about what actually happened.

Whether or not the records were actually released for the whole 7 years is also important. There wouldn't be anything to gain by raking people over the coals for a genuine mistake if the records weren't released. Trying to do so would likely make you look petty to the courts.

Atticus

6 February 2019
Being medical records, you also have the right to inspect them & if you find reason to object, make an objection to them, or sections of them, being expected by anybody else