submissions for trial

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

wander woman

9 September 2019
Dear experienced members
I am preparing a closing submission for the trial (property settlement matter in FCC). Can someone give me advice on what's the structure of this submission, how detailed it should be, and how many case laws I should apply in my case?
I found one case law is very similar to mine, and the other one or two may support some elements of my case. If I use one main case law for major arguments and another 1 or 2 case laws to support other elements, is that appropriate?

I appreciate your time.
Thanks.

wander woman

9 September 2019
Do the court orders ask for written submissions or an outline of case with your submissions included?
Hi CSFLW
The trial will be held within a month time, I filed a case outline. And now prepare for closing submission (which will be oral closing submissions or written submissions, whichever the court decides? )

wander woman

9 September 2019
Okay.

Without seeing the orders, has the court asked for written submissions?
Hi CSFLW
No. From what I read, each parties present a closing submissions after cross-examination?

Final stageBoth the applicant and respondent make their closing address.

Thank you.

GL1001

26 December 2018
Case outline should have included your written submissions (ie: case law and legislation).